Wednesday, June 28, 2017

The Gift of Anger

I came across something in a book I started, today - "The Gift of Anger", by Arun Gandhi.

Yep, that Gandhi.  His grandson, anyway.

He used to have anger issues, as a kid, so was sent to live with his wise, patient, loving, peace-promoting grandfather when he was 12.  He lived with him for two years, learning wisdom and lessons on life from someone who definitely knew how to teach it.

Anyway, I've just barely started.  Like, a few pages into chapter one.  haha  BUT, I've gleaned something from it, already:

"I am glad to see you can be moved to anger.  Anger is good.  I get angry all the time," he (Gandhi) confessed....

I could not believe what I was hearing.  "I have never seen you angry," I replied.

"Because I have learned to use my anger for good," he explained.  "Anger to people is like gas to the automobile - it fuels you to move forward and get to a better place.  Without it, we would not be motivated to rise to a challenge.  It is an energy that compels us to define what is just and unjust."

Anger is my biggest withdrawal symptom, these days.  I feel like a ticking time bomb.  I have had to avoid several things so I don't explode.  BUT, as I read further into this book, I'm finding the good in this experience.  I have a whole lotta bricks in my backyard that need relocating.  I think I might take advantage of my "drive" to get that done.  ha ha  Also, though, I'm using my repressed "energy" to fuel doing things around the house.  I'm controlling what I can because not being able to control what I can't will surely drive me mad if I fail to do so.

I'm finding more moments of non-anger, though.  That's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment